Message Icon Topic: Bards
Post Reply Post New Topic     Page  of 2 Next
aerynz
General
Online Status: Offline

Topic: Bards
Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 8:37pm
Quote aerynz Reply
So yeah, I actually advanced my wizard to a Bard... and now I'm abysmally horrible at PvP. I guess I'm used to ranged kiting playstyles like wind, TH, and GS.

Any advice on becoming an awesome PvP bard?
Latimer / Kyliee / Sylph
IP IP Logged
michaerukun
General

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 9:01pm Quote michaerukun Reply
From what Ive witnessed water 1 skills (if youre usin' em) are doodoo.

I always thought it was like being a sorc but water only + amazing buffs + healing.

In other words I'll just say the obvious and tell you to lvl more, knowing your with the rest you should be fine 8D.

/waits for that bongo guy to jump in

Don't click my sig.
IP IP Logged
Teddyz
Major

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 10:17pm Quote Teddyz Reply
Here's phenyls how to pvp guide :P
Make sure you scroll down a bit

penguinfive

Edited by Teddyz - Feb 09 2010 at 5:12am
IP IP Logged
ShoutenM
Major

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 4:59am Quote ShoutenM Reply
Bongo did fine with just Water I skills, but until you are as hax as him, I recommend Water II.

15x PvP Guardian
IP IP Logged
Zanaduz
Captain

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 11:30am Quote Zanaduz Reply
^This is why I suggest that everyone (who's serious about PvP) has to use a meleer at some point -- it  helps you understand what they use when fighting.

As far as fighting as a bard -- well... it's going to be difficult because you don't have the range or speed (or power) that you're as used to. You have to figure out how to bait your opponent into making a mistake, and then punish them for it. That's how bladers (and other close-in types) work in high-end PvP -- we don't exactly have a lot of other options.

Edited by Zanaduz - Feb 09 2010 at 11:31am

KyuShojo (16x bow RW) & Yumeyuki (13x blader)
IP IP Logged
aerynz
General

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 12:26pm Quote aerynz Reply
Holy Sound or Offense Sound?

Can't decide.
Latimer / Kyliee / Sylph
IP IP Logged
bongo17
Captain

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 12:36pm Quote bongo17 Reply
well let's just get one thing out of the way first: it was always very hard to beat anyone equal to you in skill as a bard 1v1 before the patch; now it's extremely hard.

in free for alls or party pvp it's a bit different since people are always distracted. then it's totally possible to come out on top if you just play smart (and cheap). i admit the only time i ever kill people is by ksing, camping below platforms, or by defending myself from some rambo-er.

some obvious tips are
- platforms are fun to abuse - whether it's to stay under them and be a cheap, ice-spamming mofo, or to jump on top and spam heal (which is no longer possible after patch)
- people who try airskilling over your head are idiots and will get hit by ice fear II
- bubble bubble is the best skill ever for canceling bards using es, or bladers and meisters trying to finish their combo. the 2nd hit has no balance factor and will always kb 2 people.
- you can juggle with the 2nd hit of bubble as well and when that happens you get to rofl a little bit
- ice storm sucks. the only reason you'd ever use it is to laugh at low levels and one hit kill them.
- evil sound also sucks. forget what anyone says about following up ice fear or bubble with evil sound. all that will accomplish is maybe 200 extra dmg because there is a 95% chance that after the 1st hit of bubble/ice fear the guy will be ducking. and if you fight a cali player, you won't even get to follow up with evil sound because they'll be already out of your range and preparing a tasty airskill after you finish one skill.
- analyze your opponent mainly to see what their latency is. if they're west coast, follow up your attacks with ice fear I or II since they will almost always try to run after one full skill (because they can with cali connection!). if you follow up with ice fear, there's a chance that you'll trip the guy and that's always good.
- if the person you're fighting has average or bad latency, follow up your first skill with bubble II since that traps them foreverrrrrr (backdashing in a bubble is gg!)
IP IP Logged
Teddyz
Major

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 3:06pm Quote Teddyz Reply
Originally posted by aerynz

Can't decide.
Offense sound is crap get holy sound

penguinno
IP IP Logged
Ladylovely
Ensign

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 4:31pm Quote Ladylovely Reply
Originally posted by Teddyz

Can't decide.
Offense sound is crap get holy sound

penguinno

Get neither get sonic protection cool
Free Latiam and Breeg T___T, game is dead without my pvp friend and my GA/Guild master TOT
IP IP Logged
bongo17
Captain

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 4:39pm Quote bongo17 Reply
sonic protection gets nerfed in pvp so it's only 50 dmg off. it's definitely not worth 20 points imo, but i guess if you're going for full out pvp bard it's alright. gunslingers doing 1 dmg before patch was pretty funny but that's about all it was good for.

holy sound is good but it's too much of a hassle. it's so hard to get the full buff off and even if you do, people stack so much tdd now that they'll rip through that newly added def.

if i had to pick though, holy sound > offense sound and sonic protection. it's pretty useful in grinding. sonic protection becomes useless once you start training at owl castle.
IP IP Logged
aerynz
General

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 6:17pm Quote aerynz Reply
So for my build, do you reccomend Stamina/Luck or Stamina/Magic? I hear a bit of both when I ask my friends for suggestions,
Latimer / Kyliee / Sylph
IP IP Logged
bongo17
Captain

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 6:34pm Quote bongo17 Reply
Since you're posting this in the pvp section I would definitely say stamina/luck. High luck is essential if you want to be successful in pvp. It could mean life or death when fighting treasure hunters or sorcs, because if they crit you, it's probably going to be a one hit kill or close to it. The goal is to get as much luck as possible to negate your opponent's luck and stop those insane crits from happening. Stamina is important just because the longer you stay alive the better. Before the patch it used to be that you could actually prevent regular hits from flinching with enough stamina, but now that's extremely hard to do as a bard.
IP IP Logged
Zanaduz
Captain

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 1:30am Quote Zanaduz Reply
^It's hard to *not* get KBed by a well-equipped GS with ANY hit now, pretty much regardless of class. Maaayybe well-equipped Templars MIGHT be able to walk thru bullet walls (if they don't crit), but aside from them, no one else, really...

Also, fighting a bard as a blader is annoyingly difficult... one of the few instances where ES is the best skill to use -- as ES will prevent a blader from hitting enough times to skill cancel, even with the best of latencies.

Edited by Zanaduz - Feb 10 2010 at 1:36am

KyuShojo (16x bow RW) & Yumeyuki (13x blader)
IP IP Logged
bongo17
Captain

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 6:40am Quote bongo17 Reply
i still can walk through bad gunslinger's bullets, mainly like level 100 and below lol.. but that doesn't really count i guess.

as for bladers, i would still say using water II is better just because you have no control over evil sound. if you're playing a 1v1, sure, you can use it against bladers to piss them off, but using it in any other type of match is just not practical. i like to always have complete control over my attacks, so that if i see a guy with low hp recovering from the ground, i can quickly cast a bubble and get the kill. if i'm in es, it's impossible to time the hits to get those cheap kill steals. xD

bards are all about ksing, believe it or not. if there's a guy with low hp and they jump over your head, that's when you smile and use ice fear II. if you're on the yong gyoung map and you see people duking it out above you, just be a cheap bastard and ice them from below. that's how i came out on top in ffas when i was a noob bard with like 3k hp, and that's still what i do now.

Edited by bongo17 - Feb 10 2010 at 6:42am
IP IP Logged
Thunderkaizen
Lieutenant

Posted: Feb 11 2010 at 4:02pm Quote Thunderkaizen Reply
Originally posted by bongo17

bards are all about ksing, believe it or not. if there's a guy with low hp and they jump over your head, that's when you smile and use ice fear II. if you're on the yong gyoung map and you see people duking it out above you, just be a cheap bastard and ice them from below. that's how i came out on top in ffas when i was a noob bard with like 3k hp, and that's still what i do now.

ROFL!!! OMG thats so great!! my stomach hurts right now. xD
.Kazimaru. xxThunder
IP IP Logged
piccolorocks
Captain

Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 9:29am Quote piccolorocks Reply
If you want my opinion, you are not bad at all. I PvPed you yesterday (which I'm sure you have had alot more practice since this thread was made) and you owned my Guardian. I've PvPed a lot worse bards that were a lot higher level so don't think you suck. Of course I'm definitely nowhere near being a PvP pro so my opinion probably isn't worth much.

Edited by piccolorocks - Feb 13 2010 at 1:47pm
Versal 17x Saint
Relap 193 Ruin Walker
~Memoria~
IP IP Logged
bongo17
Captain

Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 12:36pm Quote bongo17 Reply
not everyone believes in the whole "gg" thing. i actually get annoyed when people beat me badly and say gg. it's like a taunt to me. to others, it might just mean good game, but i take it as "gg, i just destroyed you in pvp, have a nice day"

i know there are a lot of other people who feel the same way as me, which is why i never say gg no matter what the outcome is.
IP IP Logged
Teddyz
Major

Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 1:06pm Quote Teddyz Reply

^ it's called paranoia.

penguincarrot
ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ
IP IP Logged
piccolorocks
Captain

Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 1:47pm Quote piccolorocks Reply
Originally posted by bongo17

not everyone believes in the whole "gg" thing. i actually get annoyed when people beat me badly and say gg. it's like a taunt to me. to others, it might just mean good game, but i take it as "gg, i just destroyed you in pvp, have a nice day"

i know there are a lot of other people who feel the same way as me, which is why i never say gg no matter what the outcome is.

Wow, i definitely have never seen it that way.I'm probably not gonna say gg now because of that because that's a good point. Just ignore the little P.S. thing then.
Versal 17x Saint
Relap 193 Ruin Walker
~Memoria~
IP IP Logged
bongo17
Captain

Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 3:17pm Quote bongo17 Reply
Originally posted by Teddyz

^ it's called paranoia.

penguincarrot

i don't really understand what you meant by this?

gg means good game right? if someone beats someone else very badly, then is it a good game? not really. also, gg has lost its meaning over the years and doesn't only mean "good game".

example: you have a giant ice cream and you know it will taste uber good, but on the first bite it falls on your lap. gg.

i dunno why i'm talking about ice cream in a thread titled bards but it's alright
IP IP Logged
Teddyz
Major

Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 3:28pm Quote Teddyz Reply
Because you think they're trying to insult you.
bla bla bla I could write more but I'm not going to lol

Not going to explain this stupid thing all over again.
penguinbeer
ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ
IP IP Logged
aerynz
General

Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 5:24pm Quote aerynz Reply
For the record, half the time you see Silhana it isn't me :\

I think some of you faced two of my characters at the same time in party pvp, lol.
Latimer / Kyliee / Sylph
IP IP Logged
Teddyz
Major

Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 12:44am Quote Teddyz Reply

For the record, half the time you see Silhana it isn't me :\

I think some of you faced two of my characters at the same time in party pvp, lol.
I know who it is >:(

and I can't believe you're having her pvp for you. That's like...super hacking :<

penguincryHAVE.YOU.NO.SHAME.
ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ
IP IP Logged
aerynz
General

Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 5:38pm Quote aerynz Reply
I wanna complete my set before my mask expires so i don't have to spend 20bux on another one :<
Latimer / Kyliee / Sylph
IP IP Logged
Teddyz
Major

Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 5:42pm Quote Teddyz Reply

;p

Kinda wish epics were transferable through banks. Although probably won't happen cause OGP doesn't want us to use our mains to get awsomesauce gear for our nub characters :<

penguinsorry

Edited by Teddyz - Feb 14 2010 at 5:43pm
ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic     Page  of 2 Next
Printable version Printable version