Message Icon Topic: The Lost Saga North American Hero Campaign
Post Reply Post New Topic     Page  of 4 Next
Maglama
General
Online Status: Offline

Topic: The Lost Saga North American Hero Campaign
Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 11:38am
Quote Maglama Reply

It has been thought of. It has been suggested. It has been strongly wished for, for as long as this community can remember. But now is the time; the time For NALS to deliver a memorable impact on this excellent action-packed online game called "Lost Saga".

The objective behind the Hero Campaign is very simple: To allow Lost Saga North America to construct a single Hero to represent the entire NA audience.

This event is hardly nonchalant, as I personally believe that allowing the NA playerbase to make its own Hero will both encourage it and alleviate any thoughts of being left out or simply ignored. This is a method to boost the North American crowd's morale and overall excitement for the game. Just the mere feeling of having a Hero decided on by this community would be refreshing. The event itself would be exciting to see all sorts of amazing Hero ideas as candidates. Naturally, there are few things that must be addressed beforehand:

Candidates

Not every idea can be a candidate for an NA Hero, as every politician cannot be a candidate for president. Let's admit that most of the ideas here are not very "efficient". These inefficient ideas have either been unoriginal, unexciting, or blatantly emulated from another Hero and/or copyrighted characters. What we need is something that represents us. It doesn't have to be a star and striped patriot, and it shouldn't have a concept that represents another country. It has to be something that hits the spot, that says "This Hero was made by the North American players". This doesn't filter out as many ideas as you would think. Not every Hero must be inspired by a particular culture or fictional figure.

Also note that a Hero concept should not be too similar to any Legendary Gears either. A Wind Mage isn't likely to happen as there are already three Legendary Gears with a wind element (the third has not been released in NALS). You can make your own Wind Mage from them.

Qualified entries will include those with original imagery and details. All images must be created by the individual. Don't stretch the page with Google image searches, because I WILL personally scope them out with TinEye. Entrants should also avoid "this Hero is kind of like ______" or "It's like ______ and _____ put together". It's fine if an idea is inspired by a theme, but an idea should be presented as if it were completely original. For example, when Justice Defender was released, there wasn't any "this Hero is based off Captain America!". Almost everything is surrounded by legal issues. This is different if a character wasn't copyrighted, such as Captain Hook, Robin Hood, and Grim Reaper. Besides, ideas shouldn't have to be replicated from actual characters.

A name means everything. It should sound appropriate for the concept of the Hero. (Just as a universal example, "Island Hunter" would be good for a Tiki-themed Hero, and "Beastmaster" would be good for an animal-subduing Hero. Just examples from the top of my head.)

Operation

In order to keep everyone content with the campaign, it needs to be operated appropriately to avoid any nuisances. The first thing that comes to mind is the voting process. There would have to be a "Top 10 Finalist" method. In other words, entries that qualify will be voted by the community FOR the community. The GMs would of course help monitor this campaign, but I would suggest the developers to keep an eye on this as well as they have closer ties to IO Entertainment (I would assume).

NO FACEBOOK. This isn't for the Facebook community, but for THIS community. I hope a lesson was learned from the results of the Miss Lost Saga 2011 pageant. It will be even worse with an event as large as this. This will only infuriate everyone and completely ruin the campaign. Anybody can gather friends who never even heard of Lost Saga to vote for a particular candidate. Nobody wants their two cents. This is for us, not them.

I am not sure how messy this would get, but I seriously would recommend anonymous entries, meaning no public entries. When voting is involved, everything becomes a popularity contest. Entries should be voted for by the concept of the Hero, not by who made it. I'm not sure how this can be handled, but perhaps a temporary Help Desk section can be made for the event. As I said, I don't know what would be easier for that, but I honestly believe anonymity will maintain fairness.

The best method I can think of is voters typing out the full name of the Hero that they want to represent Lost Saga North America. This should make it easier to use search function to find votes rather than just going through the likely-to-be-massive thread. The voters must also have a reasonable join date to avoid alternate voting.

DO NOT POST YOUR HERO IDEAS HERE. This isn't the thread for that. This is for the discussion of the suggestion. If you truly support this idea, I humbly request that you contribute more than just a "/Support". Doing so doesn't show any form of sincerity. I assume OGPlanet will require positive feedback from the community so that it may even be considered. (Considered!)

I don't take any credit for this idea. I believe I speak for most of the community and I hope you all help to make this a reality. There will always be obstacles, but I don't plan on giving up on this, and neither should anyone else.
IP IP Logged
Sqwirl
Major

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 11:45am Quote Sqwirl Reply

support so I can make a Squirrel premium lolol

+support

Sqwirlock Holmes.
IP IP Logged
DualEXE
Major

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:05pm Quote DualEXE Reply
I'm already trying to think of something good. Hmmm.

/Support

Did the US have Trappers back in the days of fur trade?
IP IP Logged
tonysaballer
Time Splitter

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:16pm Quote tonysaballer Reply
No support.

All of the suggestions will be weeaboo crap or anime ripoffs.

To large must be 400 x 125 pixeles
IP IP Logged
Maglama
General

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:23pm Quote Maglama Reply
Originally posted by tonysaballer

No support.

You can't expect every single one of them to be so. I've stated that ideas should stray away from particular cultures.
IP IP Logged
iamgir
Major

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:29pm Quote iamgir Reply
Deadpool cuz he's obviously the best thing to come from Americ-oh wait....then how about Captain America or Spiderman?
IP IP Logged
minimeprince24
Captain

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:31pm Quote minimeprince24 Reply
i support because my druid warrior idea back in the day was kick ass and it didnt even get looked at probably. I really want our own hero and just the pride of saying the Americans actually contributed to this game.

In loving meory of GM cookie we will miss you </3
IP IP Logged
iamgir
Major

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:36pm Quote iamgir Reply
How about just make a marine hero with a light machine gun?Sort of a good idea and it's an american army branch right?
IP IP Logged
Maglama
General

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:39pm Quote Maglama Reply
If it's your idea, then have at it. I'm sure there will be plenty of Heroes going around.
IP IP Logged
Martholomule
General

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:50pm Quote Martholomule Reply
This is fascinating and well thought out. I'll +Support, and come back with something more useful than the old Tao Worrier
IP IP Logged
Maglama
General

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:00pm Quote Maglama Reply
It's even possible for a Hero to be based off Power Rangers, which is American entertainment.
IP IP Logged
Thornpath
Major

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:21pm Quote Thornpath Reply
Support.

What about a batman hero or wolverine hero? Something from marvel is the first thought that came to mind.
A hero of time.
IP IP Logged
Maglama
General

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:23pm Quote Maglama Reply
To avoid licensing, I'd say it would have to be something NOT Batman, but with a similar concept. IO won't be able to touch Marvel. The intellectual property is much too valuable.

Edited by Maglama - Apr 11 2011 at 1:24pm
IP IP Logged
tonysaballer
Time Splitter

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:32pm Quote tonysaballer Reply
kk

Black steve.

All of his skills steal a gear.
IP IP Logged
XinSon
Space Cadet

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:38pm Quote XinSon Reply
support!
Lost sage: Nothing beats the feeling of getting three 200%+ effort matches
IP IP Logged
Ninja5287
Lieutenant

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 2:13pm Quote Ninja5287 Reply
I SUPPORT!!

Only problem: Copyright!
IP IP Logged
iamgir
Major

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 2:20pm Quote iamgir Reply
If the marines were a hero in this game I'd be glad to pay an extra 20 astros..hell even 200.I don't think getting licence to use their name is gonna be cheap anyway and they really deserve all the money they can get.
IP IP Logged
Maglama
General

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 2:27pm Quote Maglama Reply
Originally posted by Ninja5287

I SUPPORT!!Only problem: Copyright!

The Heroes should be completely original to avoid that.
IP IP Logged
tonysaballer
Time Splitter

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 2:27pm Quote tonysaballer Reply
Black Steve wins then.
IP IP Logged
LostAlias
Lieutenant

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 4:00pm Quote LostAlias Reply
Is this an event you are suggesting?

Are you looking for a premium hero as these people are suggesting, or a completely original hero, as I thought I read in ur post?

Anyways, this would be fun.  I don't know how well ogp would take it, seeing as they specifically said that no heroes would be taken into consideration, but I'd make a few heroes for the running.

so... /support. 
IP IP Logged
Maglama
General

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 4:09pm Quote Maglama Reply
It's up to IO whether it should Premium or not, but I'm talking about a completely original Hero.

And I'm aware that they've said they aren't taking Hero ideas, but this is an event where everyone is voting upon just one Hero. They stated that specifically since there were so many Hero suggestion threads.
IP IP Logged
tonysaballer
Time Splitter

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 4:12pm Quote tonysaballer Reply
Joymax*
IP IP Logged
iamgir
Major

Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 5:28pm Quote iamgir Reply
Charlie Sheen.Nuff said.

He's too cool to care about copyright ninja's.
IP IP Logged
Hadouken23
Captain

Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 4:52am Quote Hadouken23 Reply
Originally posted by tonysaballer

No support.

Qft
/No support.
IP IP Logged
Martholomule
General

Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 5:44am Quote Martholomule Reply
I don't think you're supposed to criticize ideas in a brainstorming session though. That's for afterwards.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic     Page  of 4 Next
Printable version Printable version